Subsurface Scattering quick tips
- Use fast or fast simple for things like fruits, candles, glaciers etc.
- Use fast skin for human skin or the sort.
- The fast shaders are all dependent on a light map, which means we have to set up our lights properly in the scene, otherwise scattering won’t work.
- Use physical for juice etc.
- Physical is dependent on caustic photons so make sure we emit them from the lights and enable it in the render settings.
- Physical also requires real world scale, so we need to have our objects to scale.
- The general workflow is to tweak each scatter attribute individually, isolating their effects each time.
- Work with low sample settings until the final render.